Animal Specialist in Training
The ASIT (Animal Specialist in Training) program is a leadership program at Cub Creek Science Camp where attendance is by invitation only. It is not a junior counselor program and ASIT’s do not live in cabins with other campers. They have their own cabins, staff, and program schedule. The ASIT program is designed to give campers the opportunity to learn and practice leadership skills while gaining hands-on experience with animals. ASIT’s will assist with the daily care of all animals at camp. The minimum session length is two weeks at the regular tuition rates.
Requisites and Expectations
In order to take part in the Animal Specialist in Training leadership program, a camper must meet these requirements
- Be 15 years old by the start of the camp session
- Have completed 9th grade
- Be recommended by a staff member from a previous year
*It is highly recommended that all interested campers participate in the ASIT for the day class.
In order to be recommended for the Animal Specialist in Training program campers must have demonstrated their ability to be a good role model, which means that he/she;
- Gets along well with others (even campers that are hard to get along with)
- Is helpful with chores (including cabin cleaning)
- Has good communication skills (including not being argumentative)
- Is eager to participate in all camp activities
- Uses appropriate language
- Demonstrates appropriate boundaries with campers and staff (particularly with campers of the opposite gender)
Entrance into the ASIT program is a highly competitive. It is currently limited to 32 ASITs each 2-4 week session. There is not enough space to allow every camper that is recommended to be an ASIT into the program. Priority is given based on the number of years at Cub Creek, a campers age and grade, campers who participated in the ASIT for a day program while s/he was at camp and whether or not the individual has sent us a letter of interest.
We will begin to mail out invitations to the ASIT program by mid-September. If you receive an invitation, you will need to respond within two weeks in order to hold your space.