Animal Program Coordinator / Lead Animal Care Specialist
Full Time / Year Round position
This is a hands-on, full-time supervisory position; responsible for training and supervising the animal care team, ensuring safety of the staff, proper care of the animals and strict adherence to the regulations set forth by our licensing bodies, including the USDA, Missouri Department of Agriculture, Missouri Department of Conservation and American Camp Association.
Position requires working knowledge of domestic, exotic and native animal species care, as well as people management skills.
Required Competencies and Experience:
- Extensive experience in animal care
- Ability to lead a team, with at least four years prior management experience
- Ability to speak before large and small groups.
- Ability to manage and prioritize numerous ongoing projects in an organized manner
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor, including the ability to lift and carry 50lbs.
- Ability to plan, schedule and direct the work of staff.
- Knowledge of the proper techniques, care and handling of animals.
- The ability to identify, through observation, the physical and behavior characteristics of sick, stress and healthy animal.
- Ability to notice and address cleanliness and organizational issues, to ensure that the animal area is always kept in a condition ready for visitor tours.
- Ability to exercise tact and independent judgement while presenting a professional image, maintaining and establishing effective relationships with the public, volunteers, staff.
Hours: Aug – May / Flexible, typically 40 hours per week, includes weekend work (days off are usually during the week)
Summer Hours / Hours increase during our summer season (comp time is accumulated and given in the fall)
Salary: Based on experience and housing needs ($21,000-$29,000)
Send a letter of interest and resume to: Lori@BearRiverRanch.com